Friday, October 29, 2010

Odd and Ends





So I can't let another week go by without a message put out into cyberspace. The ASN Business Expo was great last weekend. Thanks to all of you who made an appearance. We had more traffic than ever. Look for The Jewelry Lady at the next event scheduled at the Science Spectrum on November 18. So mark your calendars now.

My art buddy Kathryn Flanagan and I will be showing at November's First Friday Art Trail on November 5, 2010 from 6 pm to 9 pm at the Helen DeVitt Jones Clay Studio located at 511 Ave. K. It is the red brick building behind the Underwood Center for the Arts. Here is the website for the FFAT if you are unfamiliar with what's going on here in the art community of Lubbock. Check out all the locations presenting art on the trail. http://ffat.org/Home.html

In getting ready for this show, we are both working feverishly on producing some cool new jewelry. In times past Kathryn and I have spent many hours in the studio and on the road making art and selling art. But in the past year or so we have not spent any time together in the studio, so I am excited to see what the lady has been doing on her own. In my personal preparations, besides digging through my piles of art supplies, I have been reminiscing about our past together.

One year with another artist, we drove to Graham, Texas. On the long drive home, we passed this amazing sight of a caught catfish on a truck. We stopped the van and all got out to take some pictures. Then, of course as artists, we had to analyse how it was created and with what knowledge and skill.

In going through my pictures, I ran across one of this totally amazing wooden box Kathryn created while we were students at South Plains College in Levelland, Tx. She made the top metal landscape in our Metalsmithing and Jewelry Design class. Together with her woodworking skills, mounted the metal landscape in ebony and finished it off with a box to fit.
Now I can't leave out my own work. In our Metals class, we were given a lot of free time to create whatever we wanted with the skills we were shown. When we got to etching, I just went crazy. I cleaned up a few pieces of etched metal and made some two-tone necklace pendants. The top picture is an example of that work. I still have a whole pile of metal etched with who knows what on them. In getting ready for this newest show, I keep thinking about them. I will have to mediate for awhile to remember in which pile of stuff in the studio they are in. So maybe by the next show, I will have created some new jewelry with the mystery pieces still in hiding.
This Saturday is Grape Day at Llano Estacado Winery so you know where I will be sampling this year's product. http://www.llanowine.com/Events.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment